Electricity and gas are the most widely used form of energy in Bangladesh. We facilitate the set-up of various types of businesses in the energy sector. Setting up a business in this sector requires to follow a number of procedures. Registration, licenses and permissions from the relevant bodies are required before starting any business in the energy sector.
Every steps require a precise legal paperwork and documentation to obtain licenses and registrations successfully. We possess a deep understanding and knowledge on the relevant applicable procedures, laws and regulations of the sector.
The energy sector of Bangladesh is under the Ministry of Power, Energy and Mineral Resources. The Ministry has a number of organs that regulates the energy sector, some of these are, the Power Division, the Sustainable and Renewable Energy Development Authority (SREDA), Power Cell, Bangladesh Energy Regulatory Commission (BERC) and the Energy and Mineral Resources Division. Some of major Acts, Rules and Regulations are: The Electricity Act 2018, Bangladesh Energy Regulatory Commission Act 2003, SREDA Act 2012, the Gas Cylinder Rules 1991, and the Bangladesh Gas Act 2010.
To set up a business in the energy sector in the form of either a Company/Branch office/Liaison office, we execute the following services (on the basis of applicability):
- Drafting MoA (Memorandum of Association) and AoA (Articles of Association) for the proposed company;
- Drafting Form IX and From XII;
- Obtaining Name Clearance Certificate from the Registrar of Joint Stock Companies and Firm (RJSC);
- Obtaining Certificate of Incorporation from RJSC;
- Setting up Branch or Liaison Office;
- Executing registration and obtaining TIN certificate;
- Executing registration and obtaining VAT registration certificate;
- Obtaining Trade Licence;
- Drafting and executing Agreement of Partnership, Lease Deed etc.;
- Obtaining Import Registration Certificate (IRC) from the Office of the Chief Controller of Import and Export (CCI&E);
- Obtaining Export Registration Certificate (ERC) from the Office of the CCI&E;
- Executing registration and obtaining Trade Licence;
- Obtaining Work Permit from Bangladesh Investment Development Authority (BIDA);
- Executing registration for factory licence at Department of Inspection for Factories and Establishments (DIFE);
- Legal opinion on labour matters;
- Vetting legal instruments;
- Obtaining Environment Clearance Certificate from the Department of Environment;
- Obtaining Fire License;
- Obtaining Trade Mark Licence;
- Copyright, Patent registration;
- Drafting Power Purchase agreement;
- Obtaining Captive Power Plant (CPP) licence;
- Obtaining LPG licence;
- Obtaining any required energy licenses.
We also facilitate small scale investors who wants to do business in the energy sector in the form of Sole Proprietorship or Partnership Business. Please note that, these two options are not available for foreign investors.
We execute the following services:
- Sole Proprietorship
- Obtaining Trade Licence (from relevant City Corporation or Municipality or local government office);
- Submitting application and obtaining TIN Certificate from the National Board of Revenue (NBR);
- Obtaining VAT Certificate from NBR.
- Obtaining Certificate of Registration with the RJSC;
- Obtaining Name Clearance Certificate for the proposed name of the Partnership Business from the RJSC;
- Executing a Partnership Deed;
- Obtaining TIN Certificate from the NBR;
- Obtaining Trade Licence;
- Obtaining VAT Certificate from the NBR.